Friday 28 May 2010

Cleopatra targeting medal at CWG 2010

Cleopatra Borel-Browne is targeting a medal at the Commonwealth Games in India as her primary focus this year.

The Trinidad & Tobago shot putter won a bronze medal at the previous Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, Australia, four years ago, and she now aims for a brighter colour in Delhi this October.

"The goal for this year is to bring another Commonwealth medal back to T&T," said 31-year-old Borel Brown.

"The competition will be pretty steep. Valrie Vili (the reigning Olympic, World, and Commonwealth champion from New Zealand) is arguably the No.1 shot-putter in the World and the Commonwealth."

She added: "It is going to be a tough meet, but I am preparing for it. I am really excited. It is at a difficult time of the year for track and field - October, but I really like competing for T&T.

Cleopatra"I believe I have a very good chance to bring home a medal, and I don't take that lightly, so I am going to go out there and do my best."

In 2006 Commonwealth Games at Melbourne, Borel-Brown won the bronze with a distance of 17.87 metres to finish behind Vili and Vivian Chukwuemeka of Nigeria.

Last Sunday, she continued her preparations for the Games with a victory at the Brazil Grand Prix in Rio de Janeiro, with a season's best throw of 18.05m.

Borel-Brown, who holds the T&T national record at 18.91 metres, explained that her preparations for the Commonwealth Games may have cost her a place in the final of the shot put at this year's World Indoor Championships in February in Doha, Qatar. She finished 12th with a distance of 18.31m.

"My training for Doha was not intense as it would have been if the World Indoors were the sole focus of the year," she said.

"My last meet before Doha I threw 18.80 metres (which would have gotten me in the finals). Technically, I was feeling very good before leaving to go Doha. However, the travel was extremely rough. I went with one free day and then I competed the next day."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
indiae.in we are in Indiae.in

Sport Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory blogarama - the blog directory Sports blogs blog directory Blog Directory Golden - Links Web Directory Blog Collector Free Website Directory

Blog Directory Blog Directory

Follow this site rantop.com

Link exchange | Internet Marketing